Press Release

 

Pioneering New Innovative Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease

Novel treatments in development for Alzheimer’s disease recognize the significance of the brain’s non-neuron cells to survival of aging neurons

MANLIUS, NY – June 23, 2015 – Margaret T. Reece, author of “Inside the Closed World of the Brain, How brain cells connect, share and disengage – and why this holds the key to Alzheimer’s disease” (Publisher: Reece Biomedical Consulting LLC, 2015, Paperback ISBN 958-0-9963513-0-0, E-book ISBN 978-0-9963513-1-7, book website) argues the legend that people need no more than 10% of their brain cells is false. Dr. Reece states: “The myth that people can afford to waste some of their brain cells arose from the observation that only 10% of brain’s cells are neurons. The remaining 90% of the cells were initially thought to form an inert, glue-like matrix to hold the neurons together. However, recent studies clearly demonstrate that the non-neuron cells of the brain are active participants in maintaining its well-being and that they are significant participants when everything goes wrong in Alzheimer’s disease.”

Living a long life is desired by most people. Yet, many adults fear onset of dementia in general, and Alzheimer’s disease in particular, more than they dread the physical disability of aging. Dr. Reece reminds us that even though memory processing adjusts for everyone as their brain ages, most people including some who live past 100 years retain their mental competence. What is the difference between those who survive so many years without loss of mental ability and those who develop Alzheimer’s disease? Reece claims the answer to this question will be found by ongoing studies that unravel how the brain’s different types of cells connect, share the work, engage with each other and, when necessary, easily disengage.

Inside the Closed World of the Brain” delivers:

  • tactics for quickly learning the scientific language needed to talk about the brain
  • an explanation of the organization of the human brain
  • details of the brain’s system for quality control of its internal environment
  • an introduction to the cell types residing in the brain
  • state-of-the-art models of how memory forms and language is acquired
  • an explanation of the brain processes that fail in Alzheimer’s dementia
  • the promise of new therapies to postpone dementia for an entire lifetime

Reece, a physiologist trained at the University of California, Davis, formerly a Research Scientist, Senior Scientist and Laboratory Director in academic medical departments in California, New York and Massachusetts and Chief Scientific Officer at Serometrix LLC, Rochester, NY heads Reece Biomedical Consulting LLC. She offers undergraduate college students seeking a career in healthcare tips, study strategies for success and resources through her speaking, her books, and her blog. She privately coaches a small select group of students. Her home is in upstate New York.

3 Points of Particular Interest in the Book’s Content:

  1. How instruments routinely used by doctors for diagnosis are re-purposed to reveal how adults create memories and how language develops in infants and small children.
  2. Why the functional partnerships between the neurons and the non-neuron cells of the brain are so important to its well-being and what happens to these arrangements when Alzheimer’s pathology develops.
  3. The remarkable brain data accumulated by ongoing studies of long-lived mentally competent people that bring into question the causative role of amyloid-β in the development of Alzheimer’s disease.

To read what others are saying about Inside the Closed World of the Brain, How brain cells connect, share and disengage–and why this holds the key to Alzheimer’s disease, and to find where you can buy this book follow this link.

# # #

Contact: Margaret T. Reece, +1 (315) 679-6077, DrReece@MedicalScienceNavigator.com

More About the Author: Go to her Media Kit